Friday, April 9, 2010

Only in Texas!

I visited my brother and sister a few weeks ago in South Texas. It is always nice to get away during the winter months. While I was there, my brother and I traveled from Corpus Christi to the Rio Grande Valley to a small farm town called Carrizo Springs. It was a three hour ride through some very desolate territory.

Our mission was to visit our good friend Bruce Frasier. Bruce is the 5th largest cantaloupe grower in the country, and the very largest grower of onion transplants in the USA.

He was kind enough to tour my brother and me through his onion fields. Needless to say, we were extremely impressed with his 400 acres of onion transplants…that’s right, I said 400 acres, and that is a lot of plants. The fields were squeaky clean, and the onion transplants were of superior quality, with many of them being harvested while we were there.

All of these transplants are harvested by hand, and it was quite surprising to witness such an efficient operation. The entire farm is over 2500 acres of vegetable production, and that was impressive.

Bruce grows and supplies our onion transplants that are found in our catalogs. Transplants are direct shipped to customers around the USA. We are confident that these transplants are the very best in the country.

And by nature, those Texas folks are tremendous hosts. We enjoyed a tasty beef dinner on Bruce’s patio that evening. Texas is surely a special place.

No comments:

Post a Comment